How Fruit Can Help…
How we lost our way…
I remember a time when fruit was not questioned. We didn’t have a hangup on eating it, drinking it or having it for dessert. It was seen as the healthiest option you could have, it filled our lunchboxes and it was pretty much the first and only snack that got offered!
Fast forward to now and the mere mention of putting fruit into your body has many of us filled with fear.
Why is that?
What is it about this sweet, sugary ‘snack’ that has everyone so worried?
Hmmm, probably a lot of things, but the one thing that comes to mind is called MARKETING!
And, they have done a very good job.
Well, that’s another topic for another day – but let’s just say, there are a whole lot of reasons why we jumped off the proverbial ‘fruit-wagon’ – but the biggest and most audacious is ‘we’ve been lied to’ and it’s called marketing101.
We’ve bought it. We drank the ‘cool-aid’ and for many of us, it’s the reason we feel tired, cranky and why we lack motivation and get up and go – we’ve ditched eating fruit EVERY DAY!
Yes, every day. Not just today and then next week. Today and tomorrow and the next day and the one after that. EVERY DAY – eat FRUIT. It’s actually simple really, but…how many of us do it?
THE TRUTH ABOUT FRUIT
So, where do you start?
The obvious answer is….right where you are.
The complication with that is…everyone is different, so the starting point for me may look vastly different for you.
If the inside of your body hasn’t seen a piece of fruit for ages (please let it not be years…) then, you will need to approach it differently than someone who eats the occasional piece of fruit and that person will be different to someone who eats a bowl of fruit every morning.
But before we even get to that point, we need to arm you with some different beliefs. Some truest truths as it were.
Truth #1 – Fruit Sugar is not the same as white, processed sugar.
The sugar found in fruit is natural. It’s part of the fruit. It’s not added in by man, nor processed. It’s how nature intended it.
When you eat fruit, the natural sugar is a slow-release sugar which means it won’t give you the ‘sugar high’ and ‘sugar low’ as a result of eating it. It’s a slow moving large molecule that gently moves into your bloodstream and cruises around like its paddling slowly down a river on a lovely sunny day. It’s not speedy, nor in a race to get anywhere, it just is. And, because it moves slowly, your cells can grab hold of it and use it for healing and energy.
Yes, fruit is sweet – like sugar, but it is Nature Sweet not processed by man, sweet!
Truth #2 – Fruit contains two sugars – fructose and glucose.
These two sugars are naturally occurring. What this means is, they are inside a ‘whole fruit’ – we haven’t extracted them out to be a single sugar (like corn syrup, which is all fructose), they are joined at the hip and work together in your body when you eat a piece of fruit. They are healthy for you and in fact, your body requires them.
Fructose heads to the liver where it gets converted to glucose for energy whereas glucose is absorbed by the small intestine and heads into your bloodstream to be absorbed by your cells. The cells either use the glucose immediately for energy or turns the glucose into glycogen and stores it for future use. We all know how important it is for blood sugar to be monitored and controlled and so, if our blood sugar drops, the body releases some of the stored glycogen, breaks it down to glucose and your blood sugar is restored!
Truth #3 – One piece of fruit is not enough!
Yes, that is true. Most people are really stingy when it comes to eating fruit. They are like the Scrooge of Fruit and only dish out one piece at a time. Fruit is vital for good health and wellbeing and so the more we consume the healthier we are going to be.
It is known that fruit helps lower your risk of diseases like heart disease and diabetes. It also helps with blood pressure and can greatly improve your immune system – which overall, helps you stay well and recover from illness/disease when you get sick.
So, the key is to eat a variety of fruits every single day, mix it up and have some fun with it – fruit is joyful and can certainly lift you when you are feeling blue!
FRUIT AS A DAILY HABIT
As I mentioned before, if fruit hasn’t been ‘your thing’ – if you don’t eat it regularly and if you don’t have a variety, then you will need to take things slowly.
Fruit is naturally healing for the body. The body loves fruit because it is an easy energy store and basically, it’s what your whole body needs to function. And, because of this…your body will naturally go after a piece of fruit if you have been a Scrooge!
How that plays out is…you might find when you eat a piece of fruit you feel a bit off, you might have pains in your stomach, you mind have excess wind, your tummy might bloat and you might feel a bit ‘less than average’ – it is not the fruit that is causing this!
Read that again – “IT IS NOT THE FRUIT THAT IS CAUSING THIS” – you are already sick, the fruit is merely HIGHLIGHTING this fact.
So, if this is you, then you will need to take it real slow. Don’t think you can sit down to a massive bowl of fruit and think that just because it is healthy for you (and it is) that your body won’t ‘over-react’.
How to take it slow?
If you have any tummy complaints when you eat fruit, the key to moving beyond this is to take things slowly. Of course, if you are impatient and just want to move beyond this quickly, then…put up with it and know that at some point it will ease up. But, if you are a bit sensitive or just want to feel good in your body as you heal, then I suggest you take it very slowly.
Here are some tips:
- Eat one piece of fruit and see if you have a reaction, try different types of fruit (berries, banana, apple, melons, pineapple) and see if all fruit gives you issues or one in particular.
- Chew it slowly and deliberately – savour the flavour.
- Keep a fruit diary, write down what you have eaten, when and how you felt within your body so you can keep track of your progress.
- Adjust as you need. If you start out with one piece or type, do that for a while until you add another and another and another…just keep monitoring it and soon enough you will be able to eat a whole big bowl of mixed fruits without any issue whatsoever.
“Fruit heals, so if you are experiencing any discomfort it is just because your body is doing some healing, it is not because the fruit made you sick.”
FRUIT AS MEDICINE
Can you really use fruit for healing?
The simple answer is YES!
But, in life, nothing is that simple is it?
We are all different and we have different eating habits and lifestyles. And, that’s what makes it so damn complicated. Fruit as a pure source of energy, vitamins, enzymes and nutrients is so great for your body. It stops oxidation within our body, which is what ages us and our cells. It is simple and easy to enjoy and you can use it in so many ways;
- Eat it whole
- Cut it up and savour it slowly
- Blend it into a smoothie
- Juice it and enjoy it in its purest form
- Bake with it/cook it and use it in desserts
- Sprinkle it on a salad
Yes indeed, there is certainly a huge variety of ways you can add fruit to your diet. For many people, they simply stop at ‘grabbing a banana/apple’ or eating some berries with dessert. But, you can really use fruit as a way to bring lifeforce into your body.
Did you know, that every piece of fruit contains life giving properties that your body uses for healing and repair? Every single cell in our body runs on sugar, but you need the right type of sugar to quench their thirst – nature’s sugar.
Nature is so smart, it put the medicine inside the food!
- Carry heavy metals and radiation from the body
- Help the body recover from stress
- Starve out bacteria, yeast and mould from your gut
- Act as an anti-inflammatory for the nervous system
- Hydrate you on a cellular level
- Provide healing and living water to your body
The old saying “An apple a day…” is a truest truth.
- Are critical brain food, they help you think
- Have powerful anti-viral properties
- Help reduce anxiety and relieve depression
- Soothe an upset stomach
- Help heal digestive conditions
- Provide relief from adrenal fatigue and viral issues
Add banana’s to your smoothies, fruit bowls and grab one after exercise!
- Are Nature’s Vaccine, they keep your immune system strong
- Protect your heart
- Protect the liver from toxins and pathogens
- High in antioxidants to fight free radicals
- Help with adrenal fatigue
- Improve brain disorders
Add Wild Blueberries to your smoothies to help rid the body of heavy metals!
- Are natural pain relievers
- Help calm the nervous system
- Improve heart health and the circulatory system
- Reduce urinary tract infections
- Cleanse and purify the liver
Eat a handful of cherries to help ease pain in your body.
- Anti-viral and anti-bacterial
- Reduce joint pain and acid in the body
- Lower blood pressure
- Fight viral infections and lung complaints
- Reduce cholesterol in the blood
Start your day with lemon juice in water and give your liver some support!
- Help clear the lungs
- Balance blood sugar
- Are packed with antioxidants and minerals
- Fight viruses and tooth decay
- Safeguard your kidney from damage
- Purify the blood and protect against anaemia and blood clots
Eat grapes to soothe lung conditions. Grapes grow in clusters that look just like our lungs.
- Cleanses the liver of toxins
- Helps your thyroid to function better
- Protects from radiation
- Reduces inflammation and arthritic conditions
- Prevents muscle cramps and soreness
Drink (slightly) warm pineapple juice + honey if you ever need to soothe a cough – it tastes great and works wonders!
- Hydrates your blood and lymphatic system
- Reduces inflammation and aids weight loss
- Neutralises free radicals
- Aids in the prevention of chronic illness
- Protects the brain and nervous system
Juice watermelon for instant hydration and to help alleviate a headache.
I love the saying... ‘Wisdom comes from using the knowledge you learn and passion comes from sharing that wisdom with others’. May the wisdom I am sharing here and my passion for juicing inspire you to drink more liquid nutrition and make juicing a regular part of your daily life!